Non-Immigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas are issued for the specific purpose of the foreign national’s temporary visit. Each type of nonimmigrant status has specific requirements and restrictions. We have only summarized the most commonly used to enter the United States and suggest that you contact us for a consultation before making any plans.

B-1 Visitor for Business

Allows foreign business persons to enter the United States for a brief period in order to engage in specific activities. This status does not confer work authorization.

B-2 Visitor for Pleasure (Tourist Visa)

Allows foreign visitors to enter the United States for a temporary visit for pleasure or tourism purposes. It may also be used to obtain medical treatment. This status does not authorize employment in the United States.

E-1 Treaty Trader / E-2 Treaty Investor

The E Visa category allows foreign nationals to enter the United States for the purpose of directing and developing trade between the US and the treaty country (E-1) or to direct and develop substantial investments made in a U.S. business (E-2 Visa). There are many advantages to these categories, including work authorization for the spouse. Check with us to see if your country has a treaty with the United States.

F-1 Foreign Student

The F-1 Student Visa Allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a full-time course of academic study at an approved school, college or university. F-1 students may obtain practical training employment authorization for a period of one year immediately after completing a degree. The employment is not limited to a specific employer, but the employment must be in appropriate field of study. Some students may qualify for an additional 17 month extension depending on the degree obtained. Check with us to see if your degree qualifies.

H-1B1 Temporary Workers

The H-1B Visa category is available to foreign nationals with a minimum of a Baccalaureate Degree or its equivalent. It allows them to accept temporary employment within their profession, as long as it is a specialty occupation. The employment is "employer specific". The H1-B1 Visa is granted in increments not to exceed a total of 6 years. Some extensions beyond six years available and some visas set aside for U.S. degree holders.

J-1 Exchange Visitor

This category allows foreigners to enter the United States and participate in an approved exchange program. The Visa can vary in duration, depending on the program. Some exchange visitors are allowed to work in the United States and all J-2 dependent spouses are permitted to apply for work authorization, providing it is not utilized to support the J-1 visitor. Some J-1 and J-2 visa holders are subject to a two year home residence requirement.

K-1 Fiance Visa

Allows foreigners to enter the United States for the purpose for entering into a bona fide marriage with a Unites States citizen and subsequently obtain lawful permanent residency. There are important time constraints and limitations on this visa category. A potential K-1 should also consider alternatives.

L-1A / L-1B Intracompany Transferees

Available to employees of international companies who have worked abroad for a related company. It allows transferees such as executives, managers and employees with specialized skills to transfer from the foreign company to a U.S. office, subsidiary or affiliated company to perform temporary services. Executives and Managers are issued L-1A visas, and are allowed to stay in the US under this Visa Category up to seven years and employees with specialized skills are issued L-1B visas and are allowed to stay up to five years.

Spouses of L-1 Visa holders can apply for work authorization in the United States. L-1 visas convert to permanent residence without labor department involvement.

O-1 Aliens of Extraordinary Ability, P-1 Performing Artists and Athletes

This classification is utilized by foreign nationals of extraordinary ability, established artists or athletes.

R-1 Religious Workers

The R-1 Visa allows aliens in certain religious occupations to enter the United States temporarily to perform the duties of a religious worker with a bona-fide non-profit religious organization. The foreign must have been a member of the particular religious denomination for the two years preceding the application for an R-1 Visa. Congress has recently added additional restrictions and oversight into this visa category.


This category allows qualified workers from Canada and Mexico entering the United States to work in specified fields designated in the NAFTA Treaty. The TN worker must have the intent to remain only temporarily in the United States and is admitted for a period of three years. The TN is a terrific alternative to the H-1B if you qualify.

Contact our our Immigration Law Firm

Feel free to contact our Immigration attorneys in Orlando, Fl, to determine if you qualify under any of the above described categories and what steps are necessary to apply. We can be reached during office hours at (407) 674-6968. You may also call us at 813-400-0055 to make an appointment at our Tampa location. If you have an emergency after office hours please call us at (407) 925-2554 and we will contact you shortly. You may also contact us by email at


Immigration News


Immigration Overview
Practice Areas

Featured Articles


Email Address


Legal Issue


Please enter the text from the image:


Google+ Like Suzanne Vazquez in Facebook Twitter Account
Portuguese Version of the Website for the Orlando Immigration Law Offices of Suzanne E. Vazquez

Telephone: (407) 674-6968 • After Hours: (407) 925-2554 • Fax: (407) 965-5328 • Email:

319 North Fern Creek Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32803

Tampa Office. By appointment only: 813-400-0055

Copyright 2018, Suzanne E. Vazquez, P.A.

Member of the AILA - American Immigration Lawyers AssociationAVVO Top Immigration Attorney Suzanne E. VazquezAVVO Board Certified Immigration Lawyer - Clent's Choice 2012Board Certified Immigration Attorney by The Florida Bar

The Information obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular case.